In November 1983, Millard Fuller, founder of Habitat for Humanity International, was invited to speak to a small group of people at Union Congregational Church in Green Bay. In November 1986, a committed group of people worked throughout the winter until October 1987 when Greater Green Bay Habitat for Humanity received its covenant from Habitat International and a Board of Directors was created. In June 1987 groundbreaking for the first home took place on Mather Street. By November the home was dedicated and ready for the first Habitat family in Green Bay.
October 27th, 1987- NEW (Northeast Wisconsin) Habitat for Humanity becomes an official affiliate
1995 - University of Wisconsin-Green Bay becomes nationally recognized campus chapter
1997 - St. Norbert College chapter established
1998 - Focus on energy efficient Habitat homes.
2000 - NEW Habitat re-named Greater Green Bay Habitat for Humanity
2009 - Green Bay ReStore opens at 2965 Ramada Way
2009 - GGBHFH celebrates 50th House built on December 18th!
2010 - We built 3 homes, including our "tightest" (5.5% energy star rating) home ever built at 1201 13th Ave.
2011- We are continuing to build our capacity to serve more and more needy families in our community. This year, we have plans to build 5 Habitat homes!