Family Advocate Volunteer
A Family Advocate is assigned to every Habitat Partner Family to assist the family through the process of becoming a Habitat Homeowner. The Advocate serves as a liaison between the Partner Family and Habitat staff to ensure that the Family understands the partnership agreement. The Advocate also provides support to the Partner Family from the time the family is accepted into the program to home ownership.
The Family Advocate is recruited by the Family Support Committee of Habitat and becomes a member of this committee. Each Advocate is trained and supported by the Family Support Committee.
The type of support the Advocate provides to a Partner Family would be:
- be present at the time the Partner Family signs the Acceptance Letter with Habitat
- maintain regular contact with the Partner Family to communicate information to and from Habitat and to address any questions or concerns of the Partner Family
- follow up on “sweat equity” hours to be completed by Partner Family
- provide translation, if needed
- attend the house dedication ceremony
- offer any needed support in the transfer of the home ownership from Habitat to the Partner Family and be present at the real estate closing
- provide information from Habitat regarding home ownership resources in the community that would be beneficial to the Partner Family
- be available to assist the Partner Family with any questions or concerns they may have for up to six months after they become the owner of their Habitat home
For more information on becoming a Family Advocate, please contact Larry at 920-593-3921 or via email.